RSPCA welfare standards for chickens
Our detailed RSPCA welfare standards have been developed to represent good practice in the care and welfare of commercially-farmed chickens at all stages of their lives (hatching through to slaughter).
RSPCA broiler welfare assessment protocol
Next planned revision of the standards
There are currently no plans to publish a revised version of the standards.
RSPCA chicken standards technical advisory group
Members of the advisory group are selected on the basis of the specific expertise they bring to the group in different areas of meat chicken care. Members include:
- Kate Parkes (RSPCA chicken specialist)
- Andrew Maunder (Chair)
- John Reed (Cargill Meats)
- Muhammed Maliki (Moy Park)
- Sheelagh Johnson (2 Sisters Food Group)
- Richard Jennison (Poultry Health Services)
- Joe Bailey (RSPCA Assured)
- A representative of RSPCA field staff (Farm Livestock Officers) who monitor RSPCA Assured scheme members
For information on the group's discussions download:
- Summary meeting notes of the third meeting held in November 2017 (PDF 53KB)
- Summary meeting notes of the second meeting held in November 2016 (PDF 60KB)
- Summary meeting notes of the first meeting held in November 2015 (PDF 20KB)
Find out more about the consultation process for the development of the RSPCA welfare standards for farm animals.