RSPCA welfare standards for farmed rainbow trout
Our detailed RSPCA welfare standards have been developed to represent good practice in the care and welfare of commercially-farmed rainbow trout at all stages of their lives.
Next planned revision of the standards
There are currently no plans to publish a revised version of the standards.
RSPCA trout standards technical advisory group
Members of the advisory group are selected on the basis of the specific expertise they bring to the group in different areas of farmed rainbow trout care. Members include:
- John Avizienius (RSPCA trout specialist)
- Andy Butterworth (Chair)
- Tim Ellis (Cefas)
- Peter Scott (Veterinary surgeon)
- Oliver Robinson (Test Valley Trout)
- Richard Hopewell (Dawnfresh)
- Alison Hutchins (Dawnfresh)
- Gideon Pringle (Dawnfresh)
- Oliver Routledge (Selcoth Fisheries)
- Andy Smith (British Trout Association)
- A technical/field operations representative of Freedom Food Ltd
- A representative of RSPCA field staff (Farm Livestock Officers) who monitor Freedom Food scheme members
For information on the group's discussions download the summary notes of the first meeting held in April 2015 (PDF 16KB).
Find out more about the consultation process for the development of the RSPCA welfare standards for farm animals.