RSPCA welfare standards for laying hens
Our detailed RSPCA welfare standards have been developed to represent good practice in the care and welfare of commercially-farmed laying hens at all stages of their lives.
We've worked in collaboration with the Soil Association, research sector and industry to produce the laying hen feather cover advice guide (PDF: 572KB), providing guidance on improving feather cover in laying hens.
Please also see additional documents for feather loss monitoring and record sheet (PDF 811KB) and examples of perch placement (PDF 74KB)
RSPCA laying hen standards technical advisory group
Members of the advisory group are selected on the basis of the specific expertise they bring to the group in different areas of laying hen care. Members include:
- Mia Fernyhough (RSPCA laying hen specialist)
- Heleen van de Weerd (Chair)
- Andrew Joret (Noble Foods/BEIC)
- Roger Gill (Lakes Free Range)
- Sarah Lambton (University of Bristol)
- Richard Kempsey (Stonegate)
- William Garton (Avivets)
- A technical/field operations representative of Freedom Food Ltd
- A representative of RSPCA field staff (Farm Livestock Officers) who monitor Freedom Food scheme members
For information on the group's discussions download:
- Summary meeting notes of the second meeting held in February 2016 (PDF 68KB)
- Summary meeting notes of the first meeting held in October 2015 (PDF 68KB)
Find out more about the consultation process for the development of the RSPCA welfare standards for farm animals.