RSPCA welfare standards for farmed Atlantic salmon
Our detailed RSPCA welfare standards have been developed to represent good practice in the care and welfare of commercially-farmed Atlantic salmon at all stages of their lives.
Please download the RSPCA welfare standards for farmed Atlantic salmon (PDF 2.56MB).
You can also read the standards online.
Next planned revision of the standards
There are currently no plans to publish a revised version of the standards.
RSPCA farmed salmon standards technical advisory groups
Members of the RSPCA Salmon (Freshwater) Standards Technical Advisory Group (FW) and RSPCA Salmon (Seawater) Standards Technical Advisory Group (SW) are selected on the basis of the specific expertise they bring to the groups in different areas of farmed salmon care. Members include:
- Professor James Turnbull of University of Stirling and the Chair of the Advisory Group
- John Avizienius (RSPCA farmed salmon specialist) FW and SW
- Andy Young (Cooke Aquaculture) FW and SW
- Chris Findlay (Fish Vet Group) FW and SW
- Dave Danson (Landcatch) FW
- David Roadknight (Lochduart) FW
- George Whyte (Kintail Hatchery) FW
- Gilpin Bradley (Wester Ross Salmon) FW and SW
- Grant Cumming (Hjaltland Seafarms Ltd) SW
- Hugh Murray (Migdale Smolt Ltd) FW
- Hugh Richards (Wester Ross Salmon) FW and SW
- Ian Armstrong (Partners in Welfare) FW and SW
- John Richmond (Marine Harvest Scotland) FW
- Jon Walden (Hjaltland Seafarms Ltd) FW
- Michelle Johnson (Cooke Aquaculture) FW and SW
- Nick Joy (Lochduart) FW and SW
- Paul ArmstrongWilson (Solway Transport) FW
- Paul Irving (Meridian Salmon) FW
- Rob Murray (Howietoun) FW
- A technical/field operations representative of Freedom Food Ltd FW and SW
- A representative of RSPCA field staff (Farm Livestock Officers) who monitor Freedom Food scheme members FW and SW
Find out more about the consultation process for the development of the RSPCA welfare standards for farm animals.