RSPCA welfare standards for pullets
Our detailed RSPCA welfare standards have been developed to represent good practice in the care and welfare of commercially-farmed pullets at all stages of their lives.
We've worked in collaboration with the Soil Association, research sector and industry to produce the Laying hen feather cover advice guide (PDF 572KB) providing guidance on improving feather cover in laying hens.
Aviary rearing systems accepted for use by the RSPCA
The RSPCA welfare standards for pullets (laying hens) require that any aviary rearing system used must be accepted for use by the RSPCA (standard E 10.22) before they can be used within the RSPCA Assured scheme.
For details of accepted systems, please see Aviary rearing systems accepted for use by the RSPCA (PDF 80KB).
RSPCA pullet standards technical advisory group
Members of the advisory group are selected on the basis of the specific expertise they bring to the group in different areas of pullet care. Members include:
- Heleen van de Weerd (Chair)
- Andrew Joret (Noble Foods/BEIC)
- Steve Carlyle (Country Fresh Pullets)
- Olivia Potter (Potters Pullets)
- Harold Richmond (Skea)
- Sarah Lambton (University of Bristol)
- William Garton (Avivets)
- Joe Bailey (RSPCA Assured)
- A representative of RSPCA field staff (Farm Livestock Officers) who monitor RSPCA Assured scheme members
For information on the group's discussions download:
- Summary meeting notes of the fourth meeting held in May 2019 (PDF 67KB)
- Summary meeting notes of the third meeting held in May 2018 (PDF 8KB)
- Summary meeting notes of the second meeting held in October 2017 (PDF 51.7KB)
- Summary meeting notes of the first meeting held in October 2015 (PDF 17.8KB)
Find out more about the consultation process for the development of the RSPCA welfare standards for farm animals.